My sister used a standard spice cake recipe from one the cookbooks, and modified it a bit to make it vegan. She has baked vegan versions of chocolate orange cake (one of my favorites), and banana spice cake too.
Being vegan is abstaining from using animal products such as eggs and butter. So yes, there are no dairy products in the spice cake.
All Purpose Flour 250g
Applesauce (unsweetened) 435g
Baking soda 9g
Baking powder 5g
Corn oil 150g
Apple juice (unsweetened) 125g
Nutmeg 3/4 tsp
Cloves 3/4 tsp
Fine sea salt 7g
Powdered sugar 145g
Hot water 2 tbsp
Vanilla 1/4 tsp
1. Sift together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
2. Combine all wet ingredients.
3. Pour wet ingredients into the well of dry ingredients.
4. Carefully whisk together until combined and there are no more lumps. It is a very wet batter.
5. Pour into greased and floured or lined pan, making sure it’s even all around, and bake
6. After 45 minutes, cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes more. I use Silpat.
7. Check with a wooden skewer (after 60 minutes) and only a few moist crumbs should be left.
8. Cool completely in the pan, but make sure the pan is on a high cooling rack.
9. Make glaze: simply whisk together all inredients, then pour evenly over the cooled cake.
10. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.